21 online gambling tips for 2021 – Continued.
11. Don’t bet with more than you can afford. Halfway through the list, and this golden rule is one that needs to make an appearance! The best way to control your finances is to set yourself a gaming budget, and stick to it. Don’t make expensive, risky bets, don’t blow through your budget and then bet more – stay within your limits and gamble responsibly at all times.
12. Manage your bankroll. On that same note, the successful gambler isn’t the one that wins the most – it’s the one that manages their bankroll the best. Decide how much of your bankroll you’re going to leave in your account at all times, whether you’re going to withdraw any profits you make or keep them to play with, and make sound financial decisions at all times.
13. Use your casino’s responsible gaming tools if you need to. If you ever feel that your gambling behaviour might be problematic, the good news is that most online casinos offer a number of tools to help you control your casino spend. You can choose to set limits on your deposits and wagers, to set a time restriction on your gaming sessions, to take a cooling off period from your gaming for a while, or to self-exclude yourself from your online casino either temporarily, or permanently. Take a look at the tools your casino offers, and decide which of them would be most beneficial to you. Responsible gambling is always the best and wisest decision!
14. Consider your gaming behaviour. Speaking of gambling behaviour, 2021 might just be the time to take a look at yours. Do you always play the same games on the same days at the same times? Do you always play the same way? We’ve already suggested looking at different games and providers – now might be the time to change your gaming schedule, or to vary your style. A change is as good as a holiday, and as long as you continue to play responsibly and always gamble within your means, changing your game play up might inject new life and excitement into your gambling too. Try it for yourself and see!
15. Pay attention to the house edge. If you’ve never really bothered about the house edge before, it might be worth taking it into consideration going forward. The house edge is the advantage that the casino has over players in order to make a profit, and what it tells you is which games offer the best returns, and how much games pay out on average over their lifecycle. A lower house edge means better returns for you, so these games are usually the most profitable. Generally speaking, games of skill such as Blackjack and Poker have a lower house edge, while games of pure chance such as slots have a higher house edge. That’s not to say you should stay away from the slots games you love, but it’s worth bearing the house edge in mind when you play them. Knowledge is power, and the more informed you are, the more you’ll get out of your gaming experience as a whole.
16. Don’t drink and play. Or more accurately, make sure you’re not under the influence of any substances when you play. The same goes for when you’re in a heightened state of emotion, or (strangely) when you’ve eaten a ton of junk food. When you’re under the influence of certain substances, you’re more likely to make risky, expensive decisions – the same goes for when you’re upset, angry, or overly emotional. And when you’ve eaten a lot of junk food? You usually become fatigued, which can also lead to poor decision-making and costly outcomes. Rather play it safe and save your celebratory drinks or pizza cravings for after your gaming sessions. Clear and level-headed is the only way to play.
17. Don’t chase your losses. It’s another golden rule of gambling – don’t try to win back any funds you may have lost. Yes, we know it can seem hugely tempting, but throwing good money after bad is never a winning strategy. If you’ve been on a losing streak for a while, the best way to play is to step away, either for a break, or for the day, and come back to your gaming later. You won’t win back your losses, but you won’t continue down your losing streak either, and you won’t make any decisions that you might come to regret.
18. Don’t count on lucky charms. Yes, we know that the rabbit’s foot your great-uncle gave you has always been hugely lucky, but don’t rely on it too much when you’re gambling online. While there is something to be said for the sense of comfort that so-called lucky charms can bring, it’s always worth remembering that online casino games rely completely on luck, and random outcomes (thanks to the Random Number Generator in use at all online casinos). What this means is that every outcome is totally dependent on chance, so no matter how many horseshoes or four-leafed clovers you’re holding, it won’t influence the results of your game in any way. By all means, bring your lucky charms to the table, just don’t bet the farm.
19. Plan ahead. What you absolutely should be doing when you’re gambling online is planning ahead – having a strategy in mind for your gaming, and approaching your casino play with a calm, level-headed attitude. Before you place your first bet, you need to know what games you’re going to play, how much you can afford to spend, how much you can afford to lose, and what the house edge is on all your chosen games. While this won’t increase your winning chances (due to the fact that casino games rely entirely on luck), what it will do is help to minimize your losses, and ensure that you manage your bankroll effectively at all times. Get this right and you’ll always be a winner!
20. Don’t take things too seriously. Of course, while it’s important to plan ahead, it’s also important to not take your gaming too seriously. You’ll need to be flexible in your approach, you’ll potentially need to change up your plan depending on how your gaming session is going, and you’ll need to not be too invested in the outcome of any particular game. Keep things light and you’ll be far more likely to enjoy yourself.
21. Have fun! Which brings us to our final, and most important point of all. Have fun! Gaming isn’t just about statistics and thinking and planning and researching and browsing – it’s also about pure entertainment too. If you’re not enjoying yourself, you’re not doing gambling right – and since we’re all about starting 2021 in the best space possible, we want you to have as much fun as you can when you play. Get the year off to an exciting start, and who knows where the next 12 months could take you? Good luck!
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays 🙂