What to bring to a casino
First time visiting a land-based casino? Then you’ll want to be fully prepared for the occasion! Take a look at our suggestions on what to bring with you, and you’ll be ready for an entertainment experience like no other.
1. An open mind. It might seem like a strange thing to bring along with you, but in fact having an open mind is the most important attitude to have when visiting a casino for the first time. Don’t make any pre-conceived judgments, and don’t let other people’s perceptions cloud your own opinion. When you walk through those casino doors, walk in with an open mind and a willingness to try new things, and enjoy every opportunity that comes your way. Because you don’t have to win at the casino to have a good time – you just need to be open to new experiences.
2. A positive attitude. Following on from our last point, gambling at casinos isn’t about winning, it’s about having fun. So even if you find yourself on an unexpected losing streak, as long as you keep your sense of humour and your positivity intact, you’ll still enjoy your gaming experience to the full. It’s when you let the outcome of a game dictate your mood, that’s when you’ll stop having a good time. But as long as you remember the main point of being there is to have fun, that’s exactly what’ll happen. So stay positive, and enjoy!
3. A little patience. It might seem counter-productive, given that the casino atmosphere is so energetic and fast-paced, but in fact that’s exactly why you need to be patient and take your time. Don’t rush to decide what games you want to play, and don’t let yourself be hurried into making any gaming decisions either. Instead, take a deep breath, and take all the time you need. You’re there on your own schedule, not anyone else’s, and it’s up to you how you manage your time and your money. As you’ll soon find out at the casino, a little patience goes a long way.
4. A decent bankroll. You don’t want to spend your entire life savings at the casino tables, but you don’t want to run out of cash in five minutes either. So what’s a good amount of money to take with you?
Obviously, given that everybody’s budgets are different, this answer is different for everyone too, so we can’t tell you exactly how much money to take with you. What we can tell you however, is to budget for your casino spend in exactly the same way you would any other expense, so that you can be sure it fits within your budget.
More crucially, you must be 100% sure that you can afford to lose the entire amount you take with you. If you do happen to come out on top for the night, fantastic! But to play it as safe as possible, always assume that you won’t be walking out of the casino with any money. So simply calculate how much you can afford to lose for the evening, take that amount with you, and have fun placing your bets!
5. A friend. Not just any friend (or family member) though – one who’s been to the casino before, and knows how things work. Going alone to the casino for the first time could cause you to feel overwhelmed or intimidated, which could in turn lead you to make some costly mistakes. Taking along a friend or loved one with casino experience will help you to relax, to feel at home, and to feel comfortable playing games and placing bets for the first time. There’s strength in numbers!
6. A form of identification. On a more practical note, do make sure to take along some form of identification in order to gain entry to the casino. The form of ID you take will need to be one accepted by your country, and will need to prove that you are over 18 (or even over 21 in some countries) in order to gamble. No ID, no entry, so make sure you have yours on you before you leave the house.
7. A level of self-control. As much as gambling might seem like a pastime that’s all about throwing caution to the wind, in fact you’ll need to make sure you’re in complete control the entire time.
Firstly, you’ll need to be in control of how much you spend. Remember to stay within the budget you’ve set for yourself, and not to spend any money beyond this, either on credit or debit cards, or by drawing cash from a casino ATM. The more you can stick to your budget, the more you’ll enjoy yourself, and the better you’ll feel about the experience the next day.
You’ll also need to be in control of how much you drink, if you’re planning on drinking alcohol during your visit. We’re not telling you to stay sober the entire time – we know you’ve come out to enjoy yourself and have fun. But perhaps stick to one drink on arrival, then sit down and celebrate properly once your gaming session is over. The more you drink while you gamble, the more you might be influenced into making poor decisions, which could ultimately have a negative impact on your budget and your bank balance. Keep it together, then splash out afterwards – that’s a decision you won’t regret.
8. A fabulous outfit. Finally, you’ll want to make sure you’re dressed appropriately for a casino visit – there’s nothing worse than arriving and finding yourself either over or underdressed for the occasion.
So how do you decide what to wear? This will depend on factors such as the time of day you’re going, the part of the casino you’re most likely to be in, whether your casino has a dress code or not, and whether the casino is a more casual or sophisticated establishment. Take a look at pictures of the casino online or on social media to get an idea of what other patrons wear, and decide on your outfit from there. But whether you’re wearing a ball gown or a tuxedo, shorts or a skirt, just remember the most important rule of any casino is always to have fun – so strut your stuff and enjoy every last minute!
Happy Spinning 🙂